Existing for over 81 years, Communities and Residents (C&R) is a voluntary grass-roots association of members and is the longest-standing political grouping in Auckland local government.
C&R stands for
Doing the basics well –
We recognise that the council is empowered and paid by the community to deliver core services that provide infrastructure to allow families, communities, and businesses to thrive.
Intergenerational sustainability –
We have inherited Auckland, our environment, and our amenities. C&R representatives note our duty to pass this inheritance on to the next generation. Decisions to do, or not do, things now will have long-term effects, and we must be mindful of that.
Responsible spending –
Every dollar paid in rates is a dollar taken from the pockets of families and businesses. This requires compassion and respect for the everyday struggles of our families, businesses, and communities. C&R representatives recognise this sacrifice, and work to deliver value and efficiency in the necessary work of local government.
Listening to our communities –
We serve the individuals and communities of Auckland. Elected representatives must know and serve the communities that choose us. C&R representatives take the time to remain grounded in our communities and attentive to local needs and hold officers and CCOs to the same standard.
Empowering Aucklanders to work, live and play –
We must support our families and businesses to thrive. To do this we need limited bureaucracy to ensure Local Council empowers development, business and 'not for profit' initiatives in our local communities.
People before politics –
We are about people, not politics. We listen and serve all Aucklanders, keeping local government, local.
C&R's Vision for Voters
Auckland has the potential to be one of the world's greatest cities.
- We have fabulous natural assets, including magnificent harbours.
- We have a unique topography.
- We have thriving multicultural communities.
- We are New Zealand’s biggest jobs generator.
- We are the gateway to the world for the rest of the country.
Yet, despite the international accolades, Auckland is not living up to its potential. Only someone who does not live here could describe Auckland as the world’s most liveable city.
- Our roads are clogged with cars and trucks. This keeps us from our families and our work and chokes our city’s productivity.
- Housing is in short supply, with Council neither providing enough infrastructure for new development nor processing consents quickly enough.
- Our beaches and waterways are polluted.
- For most Aucklanders, Council has become a faceless, impersonal bureaucracy, more focussed on following the latest fads, than getting the city working for its residents.
- Meanwhile, Council’s spending spirals out of control, leading to sky-rocketing rates demands for property owners.
Aucklanders deserve better and should demand more.
We will ensure Auckland achieves its potential. We will:
✓ Unlock Auckland's transport gridlock.
✓ Get the city building.
✓ Unmask Auckland's faceless bureaucracy by having more local decisions made locally.
✓ Control council spending and deliver value-for-money to ratepayers.
✓ Promote a prosperous economy and support Auckland's tourism sectors.
Success will not just come from the tired old ways of doing things.
New thinking is needed – including a new relationship with central government. But we have both the team and the policies to put the “Super” back into the City.